Now, let’s try to understand the concerns raised by many people who question the official version of events and are duly dubbed as ‘conspiracy theorists’. However, these people argue that the official story is itself a conspiracy theory involving bands of hijackers led by the elusive cave-dwelling Osama bin Laden.
Some of the points raised by the so-called conspiracy theorists are as follows:
- There are inconsistencies between the behavior, skills and discipline of the alleged hijackers necessary to carry out such a coordinated attack.
- Mohammed Atta, leader of the hijackers, barely knew how to fly even though he was supposedly planning for years.
- Despite labeled as fundamentalist Muslims, the alleged hijackers frequented night clubs and strip bars. These acts are contrary to any fundamentalist Muslim’s belief or deeds and can only be seen with surprise, to say the least.
- No hard evidence including CCTV footage of any of the alleged hijackers of any of the doomed flights has been released since the last 8 years.
- At least six of the alleged hijackers have turned up alive since the attacks.
- None of the flight recording between the flight crews and Air Traffic Control authorities about hijackings has ever been made public.
- None of the four flight crews punched in the four-digit hijacking code.
- None of the contents of any of the black boxes have been made public.
- The pilots of these four fateful flights, despite being Vietnam war veterans, were overpowered by knife-wielding hijackers
WHY? Why did it happen?
This is certainly the most overlooked aspect of the whole catastrophe. Why was America, for the first time since World War II, attacked by a handful of terrorists who wrecked havoc on a grand scale. The Bush administration always insisted that Muslim extremists attacked the United States “because they hate our freedoms”.
However, the official 9/11 Commission report, on page 3 of the Executive summary, goes a bit deep to mention the following reasons:
“The history, culture, and body of beliefs from which Bin Laden shapes and spreads his message are largely unknown to many Americans. Seizing on symbols of Islam’s past greatness, he promises to restore pride to people who consider themselves the victims of successive foreign masters. He uses cultural and religious allusions to the Holy Quran and some of its interpreters. He appeals to people disoriented by cyclonic change as they confront modernity and globalization. His rhetoric selectively draws from multiple sources—Islam, history, and the region’s political and economic malaise.
Bin Laden also stresses grievances against the United States widely shared in the Muslim world. He inveighed against the presence of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia,which is the home of Islam’s holiest sites, and against other US policies in the Middle East.”
The naysayers however refuse to accept that Al-Qaeda’s hatred towards the West in general and the US in particular was the only motive behind these attacks. Not only they say that US unflinching support for Israel is to blame, they add that the real beneficiaries of this catastrophe cashed on the atrocities to multiply their authority, wealth and fame. Let’s check some of the arguments posed by the so-called conspiracy theorists:
- Why did the US government under President Bush draft a plan to invade Afghanistan well before the 9/11 attacks took place?
- Why did Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Perle, who served as policy makers in Bush administration, advocate the “Project for a New American Century” plan that urged the need for a “New Pearl Harbour”.
- Why was the USA PATRIOT Act written well before 9/11? Why was the department of Homeland security and a ‘shadow’ government formed before the terrorist attacks took place?
- Why did Halliburton, with which many Bush administration senior members had close contacts, win the rebuilding contracts of the destruction caused in Afghanistan and Iraq?
- Why was the Israeli secret service tracking the terrorist activity in the USA while CIA and FBI are supposedly in charge of investigations and surveillance on American soil? Why was the Israeli spy scandal covered up instead of being thoroughly investigated by the American Congress?
- Why was the WTC’s structural steel any forensic evidence destroyed instead of preserved for investigation?
- Why doesn’t the government of the USA produce Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Ramzi Binalshibh, the alleged masterminds of 9/11 arrested back in 2003, in courts and put them on trial?
- Why did the government not investigate the alleged links between Bush and Bin Laden families? Why were Osama Bin Laden’s family members, including his brothers, allowed to leave the USA while a strict no-fly embargo was enforced in the country’s airspace?
- Why were the FBI and CIA officials granted promotions when they failed their jobs miserably and did almost nothing to stop the worst ever atrocities on US soil?
- Why was the tip-off received from foreign intelligence agencies alerting an imminent terrorist attack in the US completely disregarded by CIA and FBI?
Unanswered questions mentioned above and countless others continue to loom over the authenticity of the 9/11 incidents. Will the wheat ever be separated from the chaff and justice will be provided to hundreds of thousands of victims that suffered and are still suffering from the tragic events? If truth comes out, there will be a reconciliation between the civilizations and relations are bound to get better. But what can be done to the people in power in America whose priorities seem to be different at the moment…